Monday, October 10, 2011

Castle at Trakai



The area where we were waiting at the terminal in Riga was very small. I finally found a place to sit and Earl walked around. When it was almost time to board, he came to me and told me that he wanted me to meet someone. He led me over to a couple. Immediately I knew what he was talking about. The man was wearing a black missionary badge for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The couple got on the flight to Vilnius with us and I sat with the sister missionary and the professor sat with the Elder. I think that the two men talked about serious matters such as finding work in countries that once part of the USSR. We two women talked about granchildren, what to do when you have too much time on your hands and what to do if your husband applies to go on a mission without telling you about it.


On Friday I went out to a castle on an island with the same tour as the missionary couple. It was fun to have their company while the Professor attended the conference.

The original castle fell into disrepair and disuse. During the 20th Century the Russians reconstructed the brick buildings on their stone foundations. Since there were few places that people in the USSR could travel for vacations, Vilnius and the Castle became tourist attractions.

According to a Karaite tradition several hundred Crimean Karaites were invited to Lithuania by Grand Duke Vytautas to settle in Trakai ca. 1397. A small community remains in Trakai today, which has preserved the Turkic Karaim language and distinctive customs, such as its traditional dish called "kibinai", a sort of meat pastry, and its houses with three windows, one for God, one for the family, and one for Grand Duke Vytautas.

I have come to realize that it would take more of a scholar than I will ever be to understand the movement of the Khazars and Karaites to Lithuania.

Our guide told us that people go to Trakai just to eat the food at the Karaites restuarant. She also told us that if a newly married couple wishes to have good luck in their marriage that the groom will carry the bride over 9 bridges. Just going into the castle he would have to cross 3 bridges; therefore, frequently newlyweds visit.

Of course, we had to go try the pastry while we were in Trakai. Due to my indecision and a misunderstanding I ended up with two orders. Fortunately I was able to take the kibinai and some cake back for the Professor to enjoy.

If you click on a few of the emphasized words above there are some fun youtube videos of the island from the air and making kibinai.











No comments:

Post a Comment