Sunday, January 15, 2012

Walking to Church in mid January



I put on tights and a heavy skirt today. Earl and I bundled up in our outerwear. Both of us wearing boots, scarves, hats, and gloves/mittens. Walking to church was fine. I got there and took off my boots and put on my shoes. Walking home we walked into the wind. A little bit cooooolder. Earl's hands were cold in gloves and my thumbs were cold. We bunched our hands up inside our gloves/mittens and got home with all of our appendages. Earl says we will not go if it is blowing and howling out. Ruth says to call. She'll come get us in a blizzard. I think I love her more all of the time. I don't think I'll be calling in a blizzard. She can go back to bed and cover her head with her pillow just like I will me. She lives about two miles from church in the opposite direction from us.

The Mark, man in the bishopric who is American (teaches at the international school) says that sometimes the temperatures drop to below 0. And that Finnish meteorologists never factor in the wind. So we will never know what the temperature is including the wind. Burrrrrr. It was about 19 degrees today.

On our way home we walked with a young couple. They have a new baby and a three year old girl. The baby was completely covered so that no one could see her. The three year old (who was in a stroller) apparently thought that mom should carry her. Just like kids. They had been late for the tram and rather than stand in the cold waiting for the next one, they decided to walk. So we had company for about half of our trip.

The meeting house is about 2 miles away and takes us about 30 minutes to walk there. We still have not found any transportation that makes sense to take on a Sunday when fewer trams and buses run. Either that or we are a little crazy. That could be it. :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment