Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Culture Shock

I frequently have people ask me what has been the biggest surprise about living in Finland. You know, culture shock. I really have not known what to answer. I don't think that I have had any problems moving here. Other than the fact that it feels as if I am on the other side of the world from my family and loved ones. Oh, wait a minute. I am pretty close to being on the other side of the world.

There have not been a lot of surprises. We lived in Paris for three months in the fall of 2007 with 21 BYU students. I was very grumpy about the jam on the kitchen floor and the melted and refrozen ice cream in the freezer. The wall paper peeling off the walls did not help either. In Paris we had the toilet in its own little space with no sink. So I was not surprised to find that it is located in a small closet here. It has the huge advantage of actually having a sink in the same room/closet here so that you can wash your hands.

Probably the biggest adjustment has been doing the laundry. It takes about two hours to wash a load of white clothes and then about three hours to dry the load of clothes. This was also pretty much the case in Paris but because of the electrical wiring in the Paris apartment you could not run the washer and dryer at the same time. Here at least I can be washing a load of clothes while another load is drying. However, I don't remember that doing the laundry was such a long process. Part of the insurance on the apartment stipulates that someone has to be here while the washing machine is running in case of flooding. We turn the water off when the washer is not in use. Because of this I can spend an entire day doing nothing but hanging out while I wash three loads of laundry in the small capacity machine.

All of that being said, I am extremely grateful that I am not washing clothes by hand or going to the laundromat.

Presumably the slower washing and drying is a significant savings of energy and Finland is very much concerned about using resources wisely. I am just an extravagant American who misses the energy wasting laundry machines back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment