Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lunch at the Unicafe



























With 19 locations on 5 University of Helsinki campuses, it is not hard for almost anyone to eat at the Unicafe, a student owned university cafeteria. In fact I was surprised to discover that several blogs recommend that tourists find a Unicafe for an inexpensive lunch in Helsinki. Now I wonder if the students think that Earl and I are tourists instead of faculty.

There is a Unicafe in the courtyard where Earl's office is and a large one that is open longer for lunch in the building next door . Having lunch here would probably remind American students of the school cafeteria in elementary school - including the lunch lady who spoons out the main item on the menu. Usually there are about four or five options. Yesterday there was salmon if you wanted to pay more. It was a large piece. Or for the regular price very black meat balls or very black meatloaf. I had the vegetarian casserole yesterday and really enjoyed it. Spices just right. Boiled potatoes seem to be a staple of the cafeteria. They have always been new white potatoes. I have noticed that all of the Finnish eaters carefully peal the potato before eating it. Of cousre, I just mashed my with a fork and added butter. There is also a modest salad bar that always has a carrot salad with pineapple tidbits. However, no dressing on the carrots.


Earl asked me what kind of bread was available. The answer is very simple. You can have rye bread or dark rye bread. Overall I have been pleased with having lunch on campus. I am never hungry when I leave. And dessert always consists of cut up fruit in a cup. No cakes or cookies on this school menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment