Sunday, September 11, 2011

Notes about Grenoble from the Professor










The Isère River running through the city of Grenoble.

Just a few comments about my trip to Grenoble.

It was fantastic weather and a great time to visit. Grenoble is surrounded by mountains and was the host city for the 1968 Winter Olympics. Part of the city dates from Roman times while my photos up on the mountain are at the Bastille which was built in 1592 to guard the city below.

Grenoble is special to Elaine and me because we lived there 40 years ago. I was a grad student at BYU and was asked to be a last-minute replacement for Hugh Nibley on the Study Abroad program. I was very pleased to do that and taught two courses while there. Unfortunately, we lived in the Olympic Village outside of town and rarely ventured into town because we had little money and worried about the costs of transportation. The downtown area is lovely and a very efficient tram now connects all parts of the city. I also enjoyed some very good French food and some great pastries. The University of Grenoble has the look of a U.S. campus and is surrounded by hiking trails and rugged mountains.

My itinerary took me from Helsinki to Brussels to Lyon and then by bus to Grenoble. On the way back, I took the bus to the Lyon airport and then planes to Zurich and Helsinki. From the air, Switzerland looked beautiful with so many small villages nestled in the foothills. For Americans, however, Switzerland has become very expensive. When Mom and I lived in Grenoble, I would take a train to Geneva from time to time to conduct reserach at the UN library. At the time, I think that one dollar would buy close to four Swiss francs. Today, the Swiss franc is worth more than the dollar.








No comments:

Post a Comment