Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Downside to being unable to Read Finnish



We discovered the down side of not being able to speak or read Finnish today.

There has been construction going on outside our front door and around the corner by the chocolate bistro ever since we moved in. When we got here, Aki (who works in the Fulbright center) warned us that on such and such a day there would be no hot water all day long. The construction work involves putting in new huge pipes under the street.

This morning when I got in the shower, it did not take me long to decide that I was not going to shampoo my hair and that I was getting out of the shower very quickly. The water was definitely cool.

We have been wondering if the notice attached to the front door of our apartment building says that there is not going to be hot water today. I guess I'll put off the laundry until tomorrow. And check to see if there is another date on the door! Fortunately those tend to be numerical.

PS

I shared my story about the cold water today in an email to a couple of my co-workers back in Utah. I guess they do not know me very well. I have an odd sense of humor, I know.

They didn't seem to get at all the fact that I was trying to be funny.

I got a note back saying to wash the clothes in cold water and another one telling me that I needed to get a good dictionary. Sob! And here I thought I was such an amusiing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment